Early Childhood Educator Registry

The Early Childhood Educator (ECE) Registry provides:

  • training information to those interested in pursuing ECE careers;
  • information regarding the requirements for a licence to practice as an ECE, Infant/Toddler Educator, Special Needs Educator or an ECE Assistant;
  • individuals the ability to apply for their ECE licence to practice.

In this section you will find information on ECE Training, How to Apply and How to Renew a Licence. You will also find information on the Reconsideration & Appeal Process, Complaints and a Glossary of Terms used throughout these pages. Want to find out whether an individual is currently licensed as an ECE in the province? Check out the information on the Validate an ECE Licence page.

Transferring ECE Certification From Another Jurisdiction

Effective April 1, 2009 and consistent with the terms of the Agreement on Internal Trade (AIT) and the British Columbia/Alberta/Saskatchewan New West Partnership Trade Agreement, the Early Childhood Educator (ECE) Registry will certify Early Childhood Educators who are currently certified in another jurisdiction in Canada, in accordance with the provisions of these Agreements.

Registration in BC is still required. Previously certified applicants from other jurisdictions must:

  • Complete an application.
  • Provide an original or certified true copy of current certification.
  • Provide a character reference or competency/character reference letter, Letters of Reference, A. Character Reference, this can be used as a template).

Child Care Licensing Regulation Changes

Effective January 1, 2012, sections of the Child Care Licensing Regulation that govern the Early Childhood Educator Registry were amended. The changes relate to both first time applications for and renewals of the ECE 5 Year Licence to Practice, Special Needs Licence to Practice, Infant Toddler Licence to Practice and the ECE Assistant Licence to Practice. The changes pertain to the:

  • 500 hours of work experience letters;
  • renewal requirements for expired licences to practice, and;
  • good character requirement for special needs and infant toddler ECE licence to practice.

For further details please refer to our Frequently Asked Questions document.