To receive child care subsidy you must meet the following criteria:

  1. You must be a resident of BC.

  2. You must be one of the following:
    • a Canadian citizen,
    • a Permanent Resident of Canada,
    • a Convention Refugee, or
    • a Person in need of protection.
  3. You must have an eligible child care arrangement provided in BC. Eligible child care arrangements include:
    • Licensed (a family home, group child care centre or preschool);
    • Registered Licence-not-required;
    • Licence-not-required;
    • In the Child’s Own Home.

    For more information on the various types of child care arrangements that may be subsidized, refer to the Eligible Child Care Arrangements. For assistance in locating a licensed child care provider in your community, use the Child Care Programs and Services Map.

  4. You and your spouse (if applicable) must have one of the following reasons for needing child care:
    • employed or self-employed;
    • attending an educational institution or enrolled in distance education;
    • seeking employment or participating in an employment-related program (only one parent can be seeking employment);
    • have a medical condition that interferes with your ability to care for your child(ren);
    • have a child attending a licensed preschool;
    • have been referred by a Ministry of Children and Family Development or Delegated Aboriginal Agency social worker.
  5. You and your spouse must establish a financial need (if applicable). Proof of income will be required.

Further information is available in the Frequently Asked Questions for Parents. To see if you may be eligible for subsidy, complete the on-line Child Care Subsidy Eligibility Evaluator below: