The Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD) is committed to providing quality service to children, youth, families and communities. As a part of this commitment, the ministry complaints process is guided by the following principles:
- Everyone has the right to be treated with dignity and respect.
- Openness to all traditions, cultures, values and beliefs.
- The rights, best interests and views of the child or youth will guide the process, regardless of who initiated the complaint.
- There will not be any negative consequences to anyone, including children, youth and families, as a result of making a complaint.
- The confidentiality and privacy of individuals and families will be respected.
- Everyone, including children, youth and families, has the right to involve an advocate, relative or friend to support them through the process.
- All complaints will be responded to within established time frames.
- MCFD or DAA staff will work actively to resolve complaints.
If your complaint concerns a child who may be in need of protection, please call the Helpline for Children toll free at 310-1234. The number is available 24 hours a day and no area code is required.
Complaints Process for Youth
Complaints Process Brochure
For detailed information on the guiding principles behind the complaints process and an example of complaints that are not eligible for review, please read the Complaints Process brochure.