Preventing Youth Suicide
Adolescence is a time of transition during which youth are exposed to many stressors. This time of significant change can create conflicting demands, and the accumulation of complex challenges may put some youth at greater risk for suicide.
There are many opportunities to help reduce the risk for suicide in your people. In this section, you will find information on preventing youth suicide for:
- Youth - information or support for yourself or a friend;
- Parents & Caregivers - information on how to support a young person at risk for suicide, or concerns about your child;
- Professionals - access to practical tools and risk assessment guidelines;
- Communities - information for communities to consider when addressing youth suicide prevention; and
- Media - information and guidelines regarding accurate and responsible reporting.
You will also find additional information and background materials on youth suicide, such as statistics, known risks and protective factors and practical tools that have been developed to assist with recognizing, assessing and responding to suicide risk.