Youth Agreements

What is a Youth Agreement?

A youth agreement is a legal agreement between you and the Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD). The purpose of the agreement is to help you gain independence, return to school, and/or gain work experience and life skills, and protect your right to be:

  • healthy and independent
  • protected from abuse, neglect or harm
  • given guidance by a parent or adult
  • supported in your cultural identity
  • supported to make safe, healthy choices, and
  • helped to gain self-confidence.

The ministry may be able to help you if you feel you are at risk and:

  • between the ages of 16 to 18, and
  • there is no parent or other person willing to take responsibility for you, or
  • you cannot return home to your family for reasons of safety.

How does it work?

  • The agreement lets you live independently.
  • It helps you gain skills and experience so you can continue to live independently.
  • It gives you access to supports and services to help you cope with alcohol or drug problems or mental health issues.
  • It lends you support to help you strengthen your relationships with friends and family.

The agreement may help you with:

  • a place to live
  • your physical and mental health
  • your education, and
  • managing your money effectively.

Now what?

  • Together with a youth worker, you will see whether a youth agreement is a good idea for you.
  • If it does seem like a good idea, the youth worker will help you write your own plan for independence. It will spell out what the ministry‚Äôs responsibilities will be and what your responsibilities will be. A youth worker will work with you to make sure you can meet your responsibilities.
  • Some examples of what your responsibilities might be are:
  • attend counseling (alcohol and drug or mental health),
  • take educational courses
  • have regular visits with your family or some members of your family, or
  • learn to shop for and cook inexpensive, healthy meals.

Are you in need of such assistance?

You can phone or visit the nearest Ministry of Children and Family Development office.